Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Scrap Your Passions - more MME Penny Lane!


Every year around my birthday I create an "all about me" layout. When the My Mind's Eye Penny Lane arrived at the Scrapbook Superstore about 6 weeks ago I was instantly inspired by the "passionate" die-cut card, which is a part of the Free Bird collection. I knew right then and there I wanted to scrap my passions.

I am passionate about so much more than what I had room to write about on the layout, so you know what that means, don't you? Yep, another mini album to add to my ever growing list of mini album ideas that I hope to create one at a time. As I type this my mind is filling with various ideas of how to incorporate my passions into a mini all about me album. But I need to shut off that part of my brain at this moment, and continue showing you some ideas and details in this "I Am Passionate About..." layout.

The journaling was important - and I decided to choose my top 4 passions. I LOVE patterned paper with the notebook rule design. I actually snagged about 5 sheets of this immediately as I was stocking the MME kiosk (a perk of working at the store!).


True to myself, I made sure this layout included my creative passions: chipboard (Magistical Memories scroll courtesy of the fun hammer shape, now short a few swirls; and a circle shape from the May flower package), bling, paint and ink. AND of course COLOR - my favorites are all here: gecko green, red, pink, turquoise and brown. I love that the Penny Lane collections can be mixed, and they do work well together, don't you think? This layout uses Free Bird and Feelin' Groovy, and I believe Tiny Dancer.

This layout is another adage to the phrase, "there is no such thing as a mistake, just creative moments" - ok, I don't believe I worded that even close to the saying...but here is what happened... I was tracing around the chipboard with a broad tip brown Zig marker, when WHOOOPS! - the marker jumped on top of the chipboard creating a fat brown line. Ugh!! I quickly took my finger and smeared it - so now it looks like a heavy distress mark. Can't have just one though, or it looks like a mistake, so I started putting brown marks on the chipboard and smearing quickly with my finger since the ink dries so fast. My thumb was quite stained when I was done - but I think the chipboard looks much more interesting now than what it would have had my outlining been done perfectly. (LOL)


An even more close up view of the flower - for the center I simply used Cinnamon Stickles by Ranger on raw chipboard, and put a touch here and there on the Bazzill and Making Memories flowers as well. Did I mention I love bling? Yeah, I thought so...

If you have been watching my projects for a while you may have noticed I am getting a little messy in my final touches. Note the loose threads from my stitching (note the Fiskars Upper Crest border punch in use here!)... I love to sew and have always been so careful to use my microtip scissors and cut the loose ends off for a CLEAN look. Recently I decided loose threads add texture and interest...so you will be seeing those pretty much everytime I sew.

Speaking of sewing... I need to get back to a layout I am working on for a special assignment. Can't say who or what, well, I probably could...but there is always that thought that "they" won't like it enough to publish it once I am done. Anyhow - I am happy to report that I finally got monofilament to work in the old Singer I have been working with. Saying a prayer it keeps on working... I can already feel the tension getting tighter as I go along, but I have a few more seams to go. This particular layout has 4 techniques at this time, with more to happen as I continue with my creative vision. I look forward to sharing it with you in the near future!

Hard to believe tomorrow is April 1 - guess I better plant my inspiration challenge quotes at Kjoi Studios -come visit!

No comments: