Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Party Girl with BoBunny Jazmyne

Our neighbor girl is having her 11th birthday party today, and every girl likes a blingy birthday card, right? Today's card was created by two people. Our seven year old, Abby, started the card. She found Jazmyne papers on my table and asked if she could use the sparkly papers to make a card for one of her best friends. Of course I told her she could.

I was quite impressed - Abby had a plan and knew how she wanted the card to look. She had seen me tear paper plenty of times, and set about getting her paper to fit on the cardstock and tearing. I gave her some coaching as to which layer should go down first for a nice overlap.  She used a large scallop circle punch on the Noteworthy paper...and intended for it to hold her greeting. However, she used a purple pen, instead of pencil, and made a few mistakes in her well wishes. I told her it was not a big deal, but she was not happy about her spelling errors and gave up on that idea.

From the beginning Abby had wanted to use a girl Potty People chipboard shape by Magistical Memories - she loves those shapes. Without the medallion I decided to stamp "Party Girl" on a scrap piece of the Noteworthy to ground the potty girl to the background. To add in a little more "sparkly" paper I cut a strip of the Terrace pattern and used fuschia staples to set an accordian fold "ribbon".
Here is a tip for you... The Potty Girl was actually part of a twosome, the Potty Guy was used on a different project a while ago.  One arm was shorter than the other after having surgery, and being separated from her mate. To cover the unmatched arms I cut a dress out from a piece of scrap Botanical paper.

Abby and I both thought our Party Potty Girl could use a party hat, so I took a piece of scrap Noteworthy paper and fashioned a small cone. I took a small piece of Concord Double Dot Ribbon, and used a micro tip scissors to shred one end. I then used a glue dot to fasten this inside the cone, to create a tassel, and then used another glue dot to secure the cone shaped hat around the head.

A small flower and some gemstones were added for extra sparkle. I am sure our neighbor and friend will be delighted with her card. And I confess, I was quite delighted dressing up the Potty Girl shape with a dress and hat...who says you can have too much fun scrapbooking? Never! (LOL)

I punched a second scallop circle from the Noteworthy paper, and encouraged Abby to rewrite her message for the inside of the card, and suggested a pencil. A personal message from her to one of her BFFs will mean more than any stamped "Happy Birthday" inside.

Supplies Used
BoBunny Glitter Jazmyne, Wellspring, Terrace, Botanical, Noteworthy
BoBunny Double Dot Ribbon - Concord
Acrylic "Party Girl" Stamp - G Studio by Hampton Art
Gem Stickers: K& Co. and Recollections
Prima Flower
Colorbox Chalk Ink and Staz On Fuschia by Tsukineko
Making Memories Staples

If your child has a friend with a birthday coming up, be sure to let them use some of your supplies or scraps and encourage them in their creative efforts. I pray this card is one of many more that we will be making together. Happy creating!

Rita S.