Tuesday, June 22, 2010

One Wedding Card - Three Ways

Here comes the bride!! Summer...always filled with lots of weddings. Do you have some to attend this summer? If so, check out BoBunny's blog today for wedding card ideas. For my project today, I want to share one basic wedding card design...with three different takes on it. Because so many young couples text these days, I decided to use the "best friends forever" text message. The couple this card was made for both travel for work, they text often...and no doubt have "BFF'd" each other many times! (LOL)  If you have hopped over here from the BoBunny blog you are probably wondering what happened to the butterflies! I consider that a more traditional card...it's safe, everyone loves butterflies.

First, before you call me crazy...let me explain, there is a story behind my stick people bridge and groom.... This past weekend a friend of mine was married. Recently she celebrated a milestone birthday, and her sweet fiance lined up a surprise party. We all went to the Olive Garden, and then later played several games of Telephone Pictionary. My first time...and oh my, I have not laughed so hard in years!! I learned this is Katie's favorite game...she even has a bin in which she saves all the little game drawings - a great pick me up if she is feeling down, they make her laugh.
As you may surmise, this is a fairly fast paced game and there is no time for highly detailed drawings. Stick people have to suffice, and I am amazed at the creativity that can go into stick people! As I was thinking of ideas for Katie and Mike's card, it dawned on ...something Katie would really love... I asked my family to play Telephone Pictionary - with a wedding theme. Granted, there were only four of us, but the game of telephone still took the original idea on quite a tangent. Inside this wedding card is the Shimniok Wedding Edition of Telephone Pictionary. A simple gift, that took us 20 minutes to do, but now Katie and Mike will have personal art from each of us with their wedding in mind.

So stick people...it's an inside thing...very personal. I know the bride will LOVE it!

You may also wonder at the purple and orange color scheme...not what one might expect for a wedding card. However, when a couple gets married I figure out whom I should talk to to find out wedding colors. In this case, it was purple, with orange floral accents. Facebook made it quite easy for me to learn this time around. Of course there is lots of sparkle...Ranger Stickles in Citrus Orange accent the Prima daisies, and Sparkle Mod Podge by Plaid Enterprises was used on the purple flowers by BoBunny. I found Doodlebug heart shaped brads in orange - too perfect!


Note how I cut the leaves out from glitter Jazmyne paper - I used a micro tip scissors to give the leaves a bit of a jagged edge...as I find them in my backyard. It just makes them a wee bit different. As if they were not glittery enough, while adding green Stickles to the BoBunny chipboard swirls I decided to add more to the leaves as well. No such thing as too much sparkle, right? Especially for a wedding card!


If you like the more modern idea of using a "text message" on the front of a wedding card, but are not keen on stick people, well hey ...you all may be familiar with Potty People!! (LOL) For this example I simply coated Magistical Memories potty people with sparkle Mod Podge, and added a tulle veil behind the "bride".


A few more thoughts to share...when using paper doilies, look at both sides. I thought the backside of this doily was quite interesting, and featured it on the card as such. Because I wanted the white lace effect for a wedding card, I left it plain. But these little doilies, found at Michaels, are fun to mist, paint, ink, etc. I created my own Stick People Bride and Groom - - not bad, eh?!! Here is my tip...I punched circles that would fit inside the doily, and then used a pencil to sketch my couple. I believe it took me three times to get a couple I was happy with. I then scanned the image into the computer, and used Photoshop to trace over my art. This took a bit of time as I am terrible drawing with a mouse, and would love to have a WACOM tablet some day! But, through a series of filled polygon shapes, ovals, circles and lines - I managed a decent looking stick couple.

Supplies Used:
BoBunny Jazmyne collection: Amethyst, Jazmyne papers; Simply Beautiful Cardstock Sticker, Jazmyne Flowers; BoBunny Chunky Chip Swirls in Clover

Other:
Magistical Memories Potty People
Sparkle Mod Podge by Plaid Enterprises
Color Me Crazy Butterflies by Petaloo
Scribbles Paint by Duncan in Iridescent Mango
Red Orange Acrylic by Liquitex
Ranger Stickles in Orange Peel and Lime Green
Chipboard Letters by American Crafts Thickers
Doilies by Wilton (check out the cake decorating section!)
Pen - Sakura Black Glaze
Not grooving on stick or potty people? That's okay. Here is a close up of a pair of butterflies. The lighter orange is painted with Scribbles, intended for fabric which the butterflies are made of. The other was painted with a thicker viscosity paint by Liquitex. Both are covered with Sparkle Mod Podge and I used a Sakura black glaze pen to trace over the embossed swirl design.
To Mike and Katie - I wish you both the best!! You're wedding was fantastic and very YOU.
Here are a couple of pics when ya'll entered the reception room.










To my readers...if you want to see the card once more using butterflies, hop back over to the BoBunny blog wedding card post and check it out. Thanks for coming by!

Happy creating,
Rita S.

No comments: