Monday, September 21, 2009
Spice Up Kitchen Decor with BoBunny!
I had so much fun playing with BoBunny's Kitchen Spice collection! The mojo did not stop with the first project idea, it evolved into three projects! Above is my Kitchen Spice ensemble, which includes a recipe card easel, recipe cards in a fun oven mitt shaped envelope, and an embellished cinnamon candle.
Today I will show you how to make the recipe card easel, and there will be successive posts on Tuesday and Wednesday offering directions for the remaining two projects. You can make all three or pair up two, or even create just one - for a wonderful gift, whether it be for a bridal shower, Christmas, or a special one's birthday. Perhaps you love to cook and try new recipes, and would love this recipe card holder for your own kitchen!
Kitchen Spice Recipe Card Easel
BoBunny Supplies used:
Kitchen Spice Cloves, Allspice, Kitchen Spice, Cinnamon, Sesame papers, Chiffon and Chocolate Dot Double Cardstock; Kitchen Spice recipe card cutouts, Lovin’ from the Oven cardstock stickers, Kitchen Spice flowers, Combo Stickers, Buttons and Bling, What U Got Cookin’ acrylic stamp, Sunburst stamp, Bohemian Borders rub-on
Other:Magistical Memories 12” easel, Making Memories Bookplates, alpha stamps by Close to My Heart, hinges and brads, home décor ribbon, Basic Grey aqua pearl stickers, Krylon copper spray paint, Staz-on and Brilliance Coffee Ink Pad by Tsukineko, Berol colored pencils, LePlume markers, coffee filter, copper wire, cinnamon sticks, small wooden spoon
Prep: Magistical Memories chipboard easel, as well as metal accents, used were spray painted with Krylon copper paint. Pewter hinges, yellow bookplates, and antique gold medium brads, which are never used, were given a fresh coat of copper paint to add warmth to this project. Placed gold brads in piece of foam from Bodacious Brads packaging to facilitate painting.
1. Apply Kitchen Spice paper to entire top section of easel. Stitch or adhere in place – distress edges if desired to allow the copper painted chipboard to show from underneath.
2. Use border punches to create decorative edges and apply to easel legs, starting with bottom piece as shown and working towards the top.
3. Punch decorate border along one long edge of Kitchen Spice paper and attach along bottom of easel, dotted side up, overlapping onto legs. Adhere or stitch in place.
4. Trim 5x7” piece from Cloves paper, add decorative edge and position on easel as shown to serve as frame for recipe cards.
5. Trim 2.5x9” piece from Allspice stripe and position on right side, centering over right leg of easel. Adhere or stitch in place.
6. Stamp “What U Got Cookin?” stamp onto ivory side of Allspice paper. Cut out circle, distress and ink edges. Add mini brads over dots in stamp image design.
7. Layer flowers as shown. Include stamped image of large flower from “Sunburst” stamp set if desired. For this project I stamped onto a coffee filter for a pretty paper layer. Add button threaded with floss to center. Position in center of stamped image.
8. Mat apron and oven mitt stickers onto Chocolate Dot cardstock. Trip apron leaving mat edge –distress. Adhere as shown. Trim oven mitts close to edge of mitt design, using paper piercer add small hole to one mitt loop. Set aside.
9. Mat floral design sticker from Combo Sticker sheet on ivory solid of Allspice paper. Cut out, distress and ink edges – position as shown, overlapping recipe card mat and striped paper.
10. Cut out recipe “category” words from Cut-Outs sheet, mat on Chocolate dot and position as shown.
11. Using solid blue side of Cinnamon patterned paper, stamp words “recipes” and “yum” in orange, trim to fit inside bookplates. Use bits of Bohemian Borders rub-ons if desired.
12. Magistical Memories Scrap Easels can be secured using ribbons tied through holes provided at the top. However, for this project designer chose to carry on copper theme and used 4 small hinges along the top to secure front and back easels together. If planning to use hinges, it is recommended to attach at this point prior to adding bulky items to project.
13. Add small wooden spoon to project. Note – two small holes were punched on either side of spoon at base of spoon head, and copper craft wire was used to secure spoon copper wire, attach oven mitt sticker design to hang from center of bow.
14. Use strong glue, such as KI Memorie GLOO to position cinnamon sticks to base of Cloves mat as shown. If desired, cover seam of 2 smaller sticks with matted sticker.
15. Embellish project with buttons, pearls and copper brads as desired.
Note: offer this project as a gift with favorite recipes printed, or hand-written, on the Kitchen Spice Recipe Card Cut Outs for a personalized gift. Place recipe cards in oven mitt shaped envelope for a clever gift wrapping idea.
It is my hope that these instructions will inspire you to create your own recipe easel with Magistical Memories easels and BoBunny's Spice Kitchen. Follow the hot links in this post to find the product used, and stay tuned tomorrow for the oven mitt envelope instructions.