Monday, August 17, 2009

Mr. Sandman with My Mind's Eye Breaking Free


I scrapped a two pager - wow, that doesn't happen too often!! Should please my sister, however, she doesn't groove the "one photo on a 12x12 layout" practice. This layout is based off a Becky Fletch sketched posted on the My Mind's Eye blog challenge this past week. MME Breaking Free papers were perfect for these photos, I actually bought the product with these photos in mind.


The frame shape around the focal point photo is from Magistical Memories new release. I easily covered it with a solid orange MME paper, and then embossed it in my Cuttlebug. I positioned the folder to create depressions in the frame.


I flipped the embossing folder and did the same for the crab shape, so the bumps would project. Before I did this, however, the crab was painted solid and coated with dimensional glaze. Be sure it is 100% dry before doing this.


If you are interested in the journaling, here is a close up. I actually learned what a castle "keep" was while doing this layout! (LOL)


I didn't have any clean, dry sand on me, which I had wanted to use for texture on the chipboard letters. The letters are from Basic Grey and Scenic Route. I Simply painted the letters a mix of red and orange, and distressed edges with ink. Because I didn't have sand on hand, I chose twill acrylic paint, dabbed a toothbrush in it, and dabbed onto the letters. My goal was to create the "faux" image of sand on the letters.


I finished up the layout with a cluster at the lower right corner. I used a new Magistical Memories seahorse, several other paints, and glaze. I also brought out seldom used colors from my Sakura glaze pens. Note that I "painted" the red buttons with Sakura orange glaze pen in the center, which was much faster than getting out the real paint.

Many of you reading this know I tend to avoid sketches. Surprisingly, I did not change very much around in this layout to accommodate the Fleck design. The MME Breaking Free papers work so well with one another, as do the rub-ons and die-cuts. If you have summer beach photos to scrap I highly recommend MME Breaking Free.

1 comment:

Dawne Carlisle said...

Awesome LO Rita! I absolutely love it - perfect!