Friday, July 24, 2009

Summer Sandcastles with BoB Love Shack


A day at the beach + kids = SANDCASTLES. It's a given. I admit, with a bit of regret, that this summer our family has not visited the beach once. The cool summer has not exactly spawned a huge desire to go dipping in cold water. Heated pools are very nice, thank you. However, I think August will provide a warming trend, and we just have to get away with the kids for a weekend. Having a new job kind of countered any thoughts for a real vacation this summer.

I love these photos of Kyle from summer 2007 - this boy knows how to make a sandcastle, or rather, a sand fortress! He spent hours. Actually, he worked on it late afternoon on day, and then returned to it to expand the project the following - those photos are the makings of a second layout. The colors in BoBunny's Love Shack collection really offer up choice for any summer theme, photos, gender. I fell so in love with the teal, turquoise, blues and greens in this particular paper, but our son's swim trunks allowed me to bring in some bright oranges as well.


I created this layout for a sketch at Create My Keepsake, but of course had to include the finished sandcastle as well! To solve, and prevent having to to go to two pages with three photos, I hid the castle itself. Without a kid, it wasn't all that interesting anyhow. Have you noticed the 4 shapes on the back of BoBunny's journaling card sheet? I know they make great mini albums, but they are awesome for page accents as well. Here I cut one out, stitched a circle chipboard shape to the back side and stitched around it - also creating a hinged opening. The chipboard adds weight and makes the flap stay closed on the page - I didn't mean for that to happen, but I like it, and will have to remember that in the future.


Stickers, stickers, stickers!! Seriously, BoBunny stickers have drop shadows that in itself, gives the art the illusion of dimension. However, I am a huge fan of BiG dimension - as you may have noticed. I enjoy mounting stickers on paper, chipboard, use foam adhesive, etc. The pail made a great accent for this layout - a Cloud 9 Rain Dot added dimension to the handle rivet. I mounted it on some sort of packaging paper I found on my table (kind of like a brown paper bag but with a lighter feel - which made it very easy to crumple and ink for texture). It looks like sand without the grit - and is better, IMO, than kraft cardstock for this look. I only wish I know where it came from so I could get more!


I added letter stickers to the photo along the bottom to read as part of the title - which uses a wonderful BoBunny "sandcastles" sticker. If you have white space on your photos I encourage you to consider using them as creative space.
To add a bit of art to the journaling block I used a Fiskars Micro Tip scissors to cut out a little starfish from a BoBunny sticker - I love how it looks so real. A few Cloud 9 rain dots and little gem stickers...and I "sprinkled water" around the little sea creature. (LOL)


I needed some balance in the lower right corner, and added BoBunny buttons and gems and such to finish this layout off. I love little clusters!

Do you have summer sandcastle photos waiting to be scrapped? BoBunny's Love Shack has so many fun elements to pull a great page together. Go out and get some Love Shack - you will have so much fun creating with it!

No comments: