Thursday, June 25, 2009

Made in Minutes!


Sometimes I wish we had 48 hours a day - I would love to spend 12 hrs. a day creating! I have had this layuot idea in my head since Scenic Route released the Grafton paper line - has it been a year? Or more?

I knew I wanted to use the Magistical Memories surfboard. I have had the photo and all the elements for a long time. Last night I finished a Cosmo Cricket layout at 11:30 pm. Instead of going to bed, I decided to take on the ACOT supply list challenge - which was to create a layout using NO cardstock, foam and epoxy embellishments (the latter of which are easy to make yourself using dimensional glaze).
It seemed for this layout the best treatment for the chipboard was to ink the edges only, leaving it primarily raw. Originally I thought I would cover it in patterned papers, but in this case, less is more. I inked the lightning bolt designs with teal and turquoise chalk inks. Using dimensional glaze on top, the colors blended nicely.



I used my craft knife to cut around designs in the patterned paper, and once done, this layout came together in a snap. Less than an hour - and for me, I call that "made in minutes!" Part of the ACOT challenge to use foam was challenging in that I had no scrappy supplies of a summer theme. I snagged a fish shape from Abby's craft stash and trimmed it down in size, so it was not overbearing. I inked the foam to change the color and match the layout tones...but if you have done this you already know the ink immediately comes off on your hands. My next solution was to paint over, and with ink still fresh it blended with the paint and I achieved a nice blended effect quite happily and unintentionally. (LOL)


If you would like to see a Cosmo Cricket layout, also created for a June ACOT challenge, you can check it out here. I also have happy news tonight - Creating Keepsakes requested a layout for the November issue - which will make two issues of Creating Keepsakes in a row!! I seriously figured, with Memory Makers no longer in print publication, that my pubs for printed media magazines would be far and few in between. I also received a contract in the mail today from Scrapbooking and Beyond - so far I am going to have a great fall in print - and it is very exciting!

No comments: