Friday, March 5, 2010

Doin' It - Creating with BoBunny, that is!

I was thrilled to discover that not all of my BoBunny Flutter Butter collection had been used up. I wanted greens, browns, and other nature tones to showcase a nice photo of Kyle captured this past July. This layout also features a twill fabric photo mat, as a part of the BoBunny blog featuring fabric earlier this week.
As you can see, I stitched multiple times around the photo, and actually stitched within the photo as well - alternating brown and yellow thread. I love the grid pattern in BoBunny's Stamp and Store disStress me out acrylic stamp set - and stamped several times before putting the photo mat in place.  Not intentional, but the stamped image reminds me of loose fabric threads - as if the twill mat is fraying. Love that unintended design element. (LOL)
As you can see, I repeated the stamped grid design on Chiffon Chunky Chip alphabet letters. I have come to the conclusion that BoBunny's chiffon chipboard is a hands down favorite as it is so versatile to recolor or add designs to.





I love the Magistical Memories chipboard used in this layout. I simply inked the chipboard with Colorbox chalk ink, and spritzed with Shimmerz Mist in bamboo green. The chipboard itself was a spray of two leaves coming out from a circle frame. I cut off the leaf sections to be used separately.


Also, as a part of the fabric challenge, I cut out circles of felt and layered them to make lollipop flowers. However, I stitched around the inside edge of the perimeter first. Because the pieces are small, a tip to help with the stitching is to punch a circle from paper, put a touch of dry adhesive in the center for the felt to stick to, and then stitch. The paper will help stiffen the felt so that its small size will not bunch or get caught in your machine, which it tends to do because it is so small. Lesson learned, believe me...
Another detail in this layout is the use of buttons - which have been inked around the edges. I love chalk ink and am happy distressing the edges of just about everything. I think the only thing I have not distressed is rhinestones...hmmmm.... To give another masculine element to this layout I used jute through the buttons and tied a knot or two at the top. I have to admit - threading stiff jute through button holes is much easier than putting ribbon through - but both have a wonderful look and you just need to decide upon the theme of the layout as to which works best.


 Journaling - when I have quite a bit I want to say, I don't trust that I will fit it all in with hand writing. Therefore, I will use a strip of the BoBunny cut-outs and go about setting up text to hit the right spot and fill in. By strip I mean that I will cut the full 12" length from the cut outs, and plan ahead when it comes to journaling. If cardstock or paper is too small it jams in the printer, so by keeping the journaling cards intact, and typesetting the journaling for more than one layout at a time, it makes the journaling come about much faster than if it were hand written.
I would be amiss if I did not brag on our son a bit...Abby takes center stage perhaps too often on my layouts as of late. Teachers have told us what a well-rounded person he is, and confident in who he is. He does not concern himself with what others think or say, i.e. the class bully has no effect on him. He is very responsible at home - has regular chores to do each week such as trash and compost take out, washing the kitchen floor, taking turns cleaning the bathroom and living room. Every Sunday he has the trash gathered from throughout the house before we leave for church, as Monday is trash pick up. This past Saturday I asked him to do the dishes, and of course he had other plans...but I gave him a time in which they had to be done He said, "I may as well just do it, not that I like it, but might as well get 'er done." His dad praised him for a great attitude, and I told him I had just finished a layout about his willingness to help - reward for job well done!
I hope this has given you a few more ideas about scrapbooking with fabric. Garage sales season is coming up - be sure to keep your eyes opened for nice pieces of quality fabric, buttons and other fun elements to utilize on layouts. I hope you have enjoyed these little detail shots, and hope you are inspired to scrap with fabirc.

Happy creating,
Rita S.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VERY well done!! I have not scrapped in many months and you are inspiring me! Great job!