Friday, March 21, 2008

Bad or Good?


Our son is 10 yrs. old, and Good Friday has been on his mind this week. He wants to know why Christians call this day good? Afterall, Jesus was brutally killed on the cross this day. If a young believer is questioning this day, it makes me wonder what non-Christians around the world think. Here we are, "celebrating" the death of our Lord and Savior.

The first "good", or Holy Friday was obviously not a joyous occasion for our Lord. He knew he must die for our sins, but our lack of realizing who he was hurt him greatly. His suffering was immense, his sorrow great - yet he did not let the cup pass from him. By his death, and RESURRECTION, Jesus claimed victory over death so that all believers may have eternal life. This is the GOOD news of Good Friday. Our lives here on earth are so temporary, fleeting really – compared to living eternally, forever with our Father in heaven.

Good can come out of bad. I have experienced this firsthand with the events of 9-11-01, a tragedy that affected and changed our world forever. How did good come from this? For my own family we were struggling at that time with the desire to adopt, without the financial means to do so. Because of 9-11 the Federal Reserve dropped interest rates. Mortgage rates dropped so much so that we were able to refinance our home and maintain almost the same house payment, taking out funds for the majority of the adoption costs. Good came out of the bad – we are now blessed with a beautiful little girl.

I am so glad that I have a relationship with Jesus, the One who loves me enough to have died for me. Giving up my old life to begin a life that brings glory to His holy name was difficult. I certainly had my relapses, but through the years, as I continued my journey and continued to grow I find the journey becomes easier. Not easy in the sense of lacking trials, or hurt, or loss - God does not promise a Christian life filled with happiness. But there is joy and peace...which extends beyond happiness, beyond sadness.

Journaling:
I remember so well the time of my rebirth in Christ. I was ready for deep spiritual renewal. "Crucified In Christ" by Phillips, Craig and Dean was a hit on the radio, and it made a huge impact each time I listened, reaffirming my desire to die to my old self, and live for Him.

Here are some thoughts from Jesus2020 - are you seeking the kind of joy that can get your through trying times?

God sent His only Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins.
Jesus is the Son of God. He lived a sinless life and then died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins. “God demonstrates His own love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.”

Jesus rose from the dead and now He lives in heaven with God His Father. He offers us the gift of eternal life -- of living forever with Him in heaven if we accept Him as our Lord and Savior. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except by Me."

God reaches out in love to you and wants you to be His child. "As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe on His name." You can choose to ask Jesus Christ to forgive your sins and come in to your life as your Lord and Savior.

If you want to accept Christ as Savior and turn from your sins, you can ask Him to be your Savior and Lord by praying a prayer like this:
"Lord Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins. Please forgive my sins and give me the gift of eternal life. I ask you in to my life and heart to be my Lord and Savior. I want to serve you always."

To learn more visit Jesus2020.

Digital Elements in "Crucified":
Red Patterned Paper: Kjoi Studios Love Collaboration Kit
Cardboard frame by Kara Jones at Kjoi
Newsprint flourish by Krystal Hartley at FaithSisters.com
Torn paper by Sande Krieger
Journal spot and stitching by Elash from Trevor’s Treasure Kit from TreasuresToScrap
Chipboard Heart by Valjs downloaded from DigiShopTalk
Crown by Sal, Sailor and Lulu Designs from Shabby Lane downloaded from DigiShopTalk
Fonts: Clarissa, Army Chalk, Jayne Print, Swiss 721 Cn Bt

No comments: