Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Paper Piecing after Midnight? Crazy!!!


Crop challenges are addicting, don't you think? All sanity disappears.  It is late. In fact, there have been several nights in a row scrapping into the early morning hours. On the weekend, not so bad. On a weeknight, not good. But I confess, on Monday, August 9 I began scrapping at sundown and kept on going until after 2 a.m.  I was like the Energizer Bunny -and could not stop!
I am not sure what to think of my ideas that time of day. The challenge: scrap photos at least 5 yrs old and have a visible date on the page.  Ok, found these two cute photos of Abby, obviously from years ago. The obvious papers to use, of course ... BoBunny Sunkissed collection! As I rummaged through my Sunkissed line, I came across a partial circle scrap. Hmmm, what to do with this... I really liked the sunburst coming over the fun green hill...what could I do?  Well, I got to thinking about my quilting days...landscape quilts, to be exact. Perhaps I should back up a bit...
The story behind the photos.... "she was afraid to go into the water." (Sung to the tune of "itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini".)  Even as a tot Abby could be stubborn when her mind was made up. It was our first visit with her to our friends lake house for the weekend and she would have NOTHING to do with going in the water. All she wanted to do was sit on the comfortable blow up raft, sip juice and munch cheese nips under the umbrella.  The story led me to my idea....I did not want to use the paper that looks like water waves...because, after all, she did not get her feet wet. I wanted a grassy green base to my layout...that is where she stayed. The sun was out and bright skies were over head...my goal was to recreate the day in a "landscape" scrapbook page.
With partial circle in hand, I was inspired to stretch out the color scheme using matching BoBunny Dot Cardstock in Kiwi, Lemon, and Ocean.  There were several challenges to overcome, which I won't discuss, but  has everything to do with me hording Dot cardstock and not wanting to build upon it and have a large portion be covered up.
Once I had pieced my landscape, I plopped my little girl down in the grass. I had cut out my journaling cloud and written out the story earlier in the night (thank goodness!) - and positioned it to balance out the photos. With eyes barely open (mind you, it is almost 2 a.m. at this point), I glanced at the Sunkissed cardstock stickers, chipboard sheet and placed them on the layout without too much thought. It almost seemed random. I discovered the design on the blue strip at the top of the page was not a part of the patterned paper, but a cardstock sticker that must have positioned itself to my scrap circle piece during the last project from which the circle came. Darn! Of course to remove it would tear the paper, so I left it. Element by default. In the back of the Noteworthy packets BoBunny has provided additional designs for you to use in your creativity. I cut out one of these designs as a base for my date block. When all was done, I decided the sky needed some clouds. I have to admit I am so in love with the Skies paper in Sunkissed...I never thought I would be one to sprinkle clouds on my layouts...but I am doing it every time I scrap with this line, it seems! (LOL)

I wrapped up "Just Chillin" before the clock struck 2:30 a.m. I added a little Stickles to a few chipboard pieces for bling, which Abby loves, and headed to bed.  A day later, I look at this layout, my pieced work, and am unsure about my idea...although the ACOT gals tell me they love it. Perhaps this layout is "out of my box" with the smattering of elements in the bottom section...but oh well, I will not do any of it over, and consider it another challenge done. I think if I chill long enough and catch up on sleep, "Just Chillin" will grow on me.  Thanks for coming by!
Happy creating,
Rita S.

No comments: