Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Agent of God - Trust in Him



"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." Psalm 28:7
It's been nine days since my last post, and I never figured I would be sharing two layouts in a row of my husband. He is totally worthy of scrapping, but as it is for many of you -the kids take center stage on the pages of our layouts.

Tonight, however, I had to come home and create this layout, for I am very proud of my husband this evening. After five months of training, classes just about every Tuesday and lots of homework during the week, Jesse was commissioned as a Stephen Minister at our church this evening.

2 Corinthians 1:3-7 reads: Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
These verses were shared by the guest speaker at this evening's commissioning dinner, and an apt description of the Stephen Ministry itself. Tonight twenty men and women have answered the call and joined the ranks of other Stephen Ministers to be agents of God. They will offer a listening ear to those who are troubled, suffering, and broken in a world of brokeness. They will offer the comfort God gives us, the compassion Christ showed to many, and do it all through the omni-presence of the Holy Spirit.

Jesse is a natural as a Stephen Minister. People have always been drawn to him to share their troubles. He is a listener. He has a skill that many of us have to put effort into. Stephen Ministry is a perfect match for his gift of compassion. I know that God can take the ordinary and make them extraordinary to carry out His will and purpose. The Lord has given my husband the gift of listening, gentleness, and encouragement. I know he is equipped for his new ministry, a room full of friends, pastors, and fellow Stephen Ministers also know that he is ready. There are always anxieties in addition to the excitement of beginning a new ministry. Jesse begins meeting with his care receiver already this coming Thursday afternoon. Please keep him in prayer - that the two men are comfortable with one another, and that Jesse is relaxed and allows the Holy Spirit to take charge over their meeting. I chose Psalm 28:7 for it says that the Lord shall HELP those who trust in Him. Our family will be praying for Jesse on Thursday afternoon, please join us in lifting him up. Thank you!

Digital layout uses elements from www.kjoistudios.com, www.faithsisters.com and www.treasurestoscrap.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful lay-out Rita
and congrats to your DH

Your blog is beautiful

Dettao said...

Wonderful. What a special man he must be to have undertaken such a mission. How blessed you are to love such a man and be loved by him.