Friday, July 16, 2010

Inspired by Movies and Television Shows


Do you have a favorite movie or television show? BoBunny asked it's DT that question, and challenged several members to create a layout inspired by such. Today, you can visit the BoBunny blog to see which television shows, or movies, inspired the team. Perhaps you will come away with ideas of your own!

One show I do love and hate to miss is "Monk" - viewed Saturday nights at 9 p.m. here. Monk is a private detective who has a few quirks and issues of his own, such as obsessive-compulsive-disorder. I had a great idea for a layout inspired by Adrian Monk, however, I could not lay my finger upon it.

So I began to think of other shows...not too inspired to scrap my favorite cooking shows (even though I have phots of Kyle cooking), and the station "Create" really doesn't count.... I thought of favorite movies, such as "It's A Wonderful Life" - a super easy topic for which almost any photo could be used; "Return to Me", but I had no idea whom I would be returning to; or "Sleepless in Seattle", but I've never been to NY or Seattle, and do not suffer from sleeplessness. (LOL)  In a tie for my number two all time favorite movie is "While You Were Sleeping", this is one movie I never tire of. I thought to myself, wouldn't it be fun to find a sleeping baby photo, and scrap about all the things I got done while my babies were taking their afternoon nap?

I set about to find a sleeping baby photo, and was real happy to find one of Kyle in a sleeper, and wrapped in a blanket, containing many of the colors found in Peacock Lane! Seeing the "lollipop tree" in the Bleu paper design, I was inspired to write between the lines, and thus a layout was born.
If you decide to cut out the tree from your own sheet of "Bleu" paper, consider using adhesives of various thicknesses to create dimensional interest in your layout.

My journaling spots read:
 - weeded the front flower bed
- emptied the dishwasher
- washed 3 loads of laundry, and folded 2. watched Oprah.
- caught up on e-mail
- admired your little fingers

Loopy Ribbon Border
Two techniques were used to create my felt and ribbon borders. For the top piece, which was very short, I simply used glue dots. Using larger dots I offset the end of my 1" or so length of ribbon end-to-end, so both ends were caught in the glue dot - and positioned three of them adjacent to one another in a short row. I then used a felt piece to cover the ribbon ends.



However, if you would like to conserve glue dots, take a thin scrap piece of paper (as you can see in my layout, I trimmed off 1/4" around each side of the Ivy paper), and staple each loop to the strip of paper. Building upon a paper base makes adhering with my ATG gun or a few glue dots super simple. I used my Fiskars large scissors to cut not-so-perfect scallops along one edge of a piece of felt, which measured 3x8". I mention the dimension because I want to stress how important it is to add stitching BEFORE cutting a thin strip as shown in the layout. It would be difficult for me to stitch on a strip of felt that measured approx. 3/8" wide, without it getting caught in the feed-dog. I ran a line of straight stitching down the felt near the scalloped edge, and trimmed it to a skinny piece, as shown, after-the-fact.

As you can see, I could not resist potting the "lollipop tree". I created a simple template for the potting, folding over the top edge to create a band. (BoBunny's two-sided paper was perfect for this!) Of course you have to have a little "dirt", and I cut a little oval from Chocolate Dot cardstock scraps. Scraps of the turquoise were utilized to create the backside of the pot, thus giving the illusion of depth.

BoBunny Supplies Used:
Peacock Lane Collection: Ivy, Bleu, Parade. Plumes, Tweet, and Cut-Out papers; Simply Wonderful Cardstock Stickers, Combo Stickers, Rub-Ons,
Sunkissed "Skies" paper, Summer Fun Cardstock Stickers, Buttons & Bling
Concord Double Dot Ribbon
Chocolate Dot Cardstock
Buttons and Bling - Jazmyne and Sunkissed
Other Supplies:
Black Alphabet stickers-Boxer Scrapbook Productions
Crystal butterfly sticker - Mark Richards
craft felt
Colorbox chalk ink
Black thread

I hope you have enjoyed this layout. Be sure to check out other movie and television show inspired layouts by other BoB DT members. Speaking of DT - are you working on your submissions for the BoBunny team? It is seriously a fabulous gig ladies and gents. I have rarely set foot in a scrapbook store this past year, and have no desire to - other than to stock up on glue dots or pacify my border punch fixation. If you have been visiting my blog this past year you can probably count my non-BoBunny projects on one hand. I really have no desire to "get other stuff" when I am swimming in BoBunny delight already. Papers, chipboard, alphabets, brads, and now, even journaling spots with the release of Noteworthy - BoBunny has all the coordinates I ever need. Good luck to those putting your hat in the ring!
Happy creating,
Rita S.

No comments: