Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine Gifts with BoBunny























Did you all have a sweet Valentine's Day? Our day was busy as we also celebrated the Korean New Year in our efforts to have Abby be aware of  some of the traditions in her Korean culture. But of course we also celebrated Valentine's.

A couple of years ago I noticed my husband was keeping a file folder of the cards myself and the kids had given him. I decided to create a box, and when BoBunny Persuasion arrived I knew I had the perfect line to follow through with this idea. The "Moments" paper from Persuasion, with its many sentiments, is a perfect choice for a box that is to hold greeting cards. From a previous project, I already had a piece of red, from "Love Notes", in a bracket shape and it made for a great center backdrop for embellishments.  I used a BoBunny bracket frame in Chiffon, and lightly spot inked it with VersaMagic Sea Breeze. I then misted with Latte Glimmer Mist, which I also used on the "Moments" paper. Once dry, I added a little more Sea Breeze ink for a little more intense aqua here and there. The frame is quite pretty in real life, distress with shimmer, which I love!

Some tips for the sides...  Using a large scallop border punch allowed me to match up the scallops. I made sure that all strips wrapped around corners, this simply makes the corners more durable. As you can see from this close up of a seam, choosing a paper with a subtle pattern allows me to match up ends, slightly overlaps, for an almost invisible seam.

For this project all stitching was done prior to adhering to the box. I used Mod Podge by plaid for large surface areas, but espcially on top, where the edges would not lie flat because of the Glimmer Mist process, I used Zip Dry, and although that glue smells a bit, it certainly cements down edges and you won't ever have to worry about your project coming apart. I had wide, sheer ribbon in aquamarine on hand, and twisted it before adhering to the inside of the box lid. You could simply use a really strong tape to do this, covering all ends so as not to catch or fray as the box is used. BoBunny's aquamarine double dot ribbon layered on top provided a beautiful finishing touch.

Children Love Valentine Gifts Too!

For the kids I altered mini M&M tubes that they had received as stocking stuffers a number of Christmas ago. They make handy small treat carriers for car trips, and we have hung on to them.
Every Sunday after church we hang around to chat with friends. The kids can become restless without something to do, and Abby always loves to color. To simplify the process of gathering up some crayons I decided to alter an M&M tube as a crayon case. I chose Persuasion for the multiple colors, and the dotted paper - our girl loves polka dots - she considers them "artsy". (LOL) My pink Crop-o-dile did a nice clean job of punching holes in the sides. By feeding the ribbon from the inside out, it is smooth inside and does not hinder crayons from sliding in and out, nor does it take up space. The ribbon coming out through the top of the tube, easily allows the cap to snap shut (although I see I did not push it down tightly in my photo - sorry about that!). Of course, being for Abby, I had to bling it! Regular gloss Mod Podge was used to adhere the papers to the tubes, but I used Sparkle Mod Podge over Abby's crayon case, which also helps keep the sticker border from the Persuasion Combo Sticker sheet from coming off.

Crayon Case:
BoBunny Supplies Used: Persuasion Dot, Love notes, Combo Stickers; Love Bandit “Love Bandit”; Pink Punch Double Dot 3/8” ribbon
Other:
Sparkle Mod Podge
Alpha Stickers: American Crafts Rock-A-Bye

Kyle loves all critters - and I knew he would enjoy the "Love Bandit" collection. The critters are so cute!
Treat Tube:Love Bandit “Love You Deerly”, “Love Bandit”, Cut Outs, Wild Berry Double Dot Ribbon


The top features a sticker from the Love Bandit and Persuasion Combo Sticker sheets that I thought each child would like.  While I have the Love Bandit still on my table, I need to alter a keepsake box for Kyle as well. As my sentimental kid, I see he is just like his dad as I find his cards stuffed into his dresser drawers among his clothes.

And of course I just have to share a drawing Abby made for me over the weekend.  Note the tree on the right - an apple tree. Apparently Bo Bunny tried eating an apple (note the one with a bite out of it), but then decided he would prefer the carrots found in the garden. Note the bow on the bunny? Way cute, and I love that she is drawing us pictures all the time. Who knows...she just may grow up to be a BoBunny designer!
I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! I have more layouts to share this week so stay tuned.  Meanwhile, enjoy the creative process and be true to yourself.

Happy creating,
Rita S.

3 comments:

April said...

How awesome!! The M&M tube turned into a crayon case is pure genious. ;)
- April

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

What awesome projects you created for today Rita! Love them both! and the drawing that Abby did is so cute!

Lori Mar said...

Love the Valentines projects, Rita! I love how you re-purposed the M&M tubes, and I love the happy colors!