Monday, February 22, 2010

Do You Have a Word for 2010?


Less.  This word came to me near the end of 2009. I think with all the hub bub of creating Christmas gifts, doing, doing, doing - and not getting to relax and relish the holiness of the season - I realized I needed to do less. Too much busy time does not allow for God time, and not only does that wear on my heart, I am sure God misses me as well.
Less. Less stuff. Our house is small, yet certain areas are packed with STUFF. Stuff that can go - the fooz ball table that is never played with and takes considerable space in the basement. Closets overly filled. Set aside an hour or two...and work on one small area. That is the game plan I proposed to my husband - attack it, chuck it, give it, reorganize what remains. (We've made some progress on this in 2010 - it feels good!) Clothes that I have stored, hoping that I will one day fit into them again. Well, if I do lose weight -I deserve the reward of new! And speaking of weight loss...yes, less, in that respect as well. Less of me, physically.I want to share a close up of my title letters. I used a stamp set you may not expect...BoBunny's Old St. Nicholas (santa) acrylic stamp. Surrounding Santa is a fine scroll writing style. I love the look of script writing in patterned papers, and backgrounds, and wanted to apply that design to my title letters. It is subtle, but there. I lined the letters up side by side and simply stamped across all my red chipboard letters at once, using black Staz-On. I then covered with gloss dimensional adhesive.
Perhaps even less stash. Yes, now that I am designing for BoBunny I hardly ever get a chance to dabble into my stash - although much is earmarked and even set aside to go with certain photos. This photos uses Pink Paisley product I have probably had set aside for two years now, waiting for me to scrap that photo of myself - which happens to be an all-time favorite.
Never, however, less bling. I have been on my sparkle and bling kick for a couple years now - and honestly, do not see that going away. Sparkle Mod Podge sits as near my immediate work space as does my craft knife and metal ruler. I use it often! I found these Prima Fleurs at Michaels last week - loved the chunks of "frost" on the petals. Pretty, aren't they? I wonder...could I use sea salt and get the same look? (LOL)
BoBunny's chiffon chipboard alphabets and shapes have become a favorite as the color is so easy to colorize with a variety of mediums. Here I simply misted with turquoise Glimmer Mist.  I also used Licorice Shimmer Mist on the background kraft cardstock.
Of course I have to share my journaling for my chosen word for 2010. It is going to take a lot of discipline, which is my "first trimester" word. (LOL)
Discipline came into my head a couple of weeks ago, realizing how much discipline it will take for less to come about.
It will take discipline to let God take control and let go of control, which I hang on to fervently. It will take discipline to not pop corn or other foods after a certain hour of the evening. Right now, as I type this, I am developing a craving...which means I need to go scrap as I absolutely have no desire to eat when I am creating.
Less of me, more of Him.  John 3:30 reads, "He must become greater, I must become less." 
Less is not only my word for 2010, but my prayer. I can see God working in my life. I am receiving affirmation of my gifts from several people and I have no idea how I am to find time to allow these gifts to be used for Him. I struggle with time, and lack there of to accomplish all that I want. And maybe that is where I need to step back, reconsider what I want, and allow God's wants for my life to be considered. I stamped a bird design I have used often - only this time embossed with white embossing powder, to create a "dove" for my page. I know that the only way there can be less of me, is to let the Spirit grow inside me, and allow for more of Him.
Have you scrapped your word for 2010? I have seen some great pages out there. I encourage you, if you have put off this project, to get 'er done. Now that it is on my paper it serves as a reminder of my 2010 goal.
Happy creating,
Rita S.

1 comment:

Melanie Stanczyk said...

Rita, this turned out perfect!

I love how you used your "word" Great job!