Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cosmo Cricket's Girl Friday + Girlfriends = FUN layout!



If I posted all my layouts created for NSD weekend you might note a trend...Cosmo Cricket's Girl Friday collection. I love it!! Flowery, yet vintage-y, and FUN - all in one great collection. You will see them all eventually. As a matter of fact, I plan on making a blog for Cosmo Cricket creations just as I did for Reminisce, in order to provide easy access for Cosmo fans looking for some inspiration. I hope to get to this in the not so distant future - I piled up my Cosmo projects - it's quite a stack!

Although most of my layouts are inspired by photos first, I have to admit, this layout came out of my desire to cleverly use the vintage image stickers in the collection. I came up with the idea to incorporate the stickers into my journaling - reminiscent of some of our daughter's first board books.

(sorry - watch for Creating Keepsakes October issue - the journaling technique is lots of fun!)
Is this what they call a "cryptograph"? I am sure you can figure it out, but I did have to point out to my 6 yr old that the word was "high heels", not shoes. (LOL) She's never seen me in high heels, probably never heard of them.

(again, sorry. this ribbon flower is WAY COOL - check it out in CK October!)
I also played with the wider ribbon in the Girl Friday ribbon pack. I know Julie Comstock likes to experiment with homemade flowers, and I came up with a fun ribbon flower using staples. I wanted a ribbon flower with dimension. All you need to do to make this flower is fold a piece of ribbon lengthwise, staple in the center near the fold. Repeat this with additional pieces of ribbon, determined only by you and how many petals or layers you would like. I used three pieces of ribbon. Once stapled I criss-crossed them, while depressing the center to "fan out" the center of the ribbon, and carefully stapled them to hold the layers together. I then finished the flower off with a button center and gem sticker. I would have liked to have taken a picture for you before I covered the center, and given you step by step photographs, but as I recall it was 1 or 2 in the morning while I was making this. Definitely did not have the gumption to go up and get my camera...besides, the moon was not providing enough natural light for a good photo I am certain. (LOL) I really love how the flower turned out, rather ginchy, don't ya think? I definitely plan to make more of these. I've always reached for 3/8" ribbon in the past, but now I am eyeing the wider styles in a whole new light!

I hope you try making these flowers - super simple with a stapler on hand. Actually, I have to admit, I hope this is a new technique and not a "been done" ribbon flower. I don't have a lot of time on my hands to hop all over the net to see who is making what, but at the very least - I hope you are inspired. If you need step by step photos just holler and I will be happy to take pictures at a decent time of day. (LOL)

Oh, and I would be remiss not to wish my GIRLFRIEND Lisa, in this layout, a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! We met for lunch and she is just so much fun! The chipboard clock is, of course, Magistical Memories - find them here! I simply drybrushed pink paint on the raw chipboard and distressed with a cat's eye charcoal ink pad.

I cannot end my entry today without expressing my sadness at the news that Memory Makers magazine is ceasing publication. The Great Idea gallery issue coming out in September/October will be their last. I was hoping that Memory Makers would survive the economy simply because they only feature never-before-seen projects. No one else does that! I love the editorial team - they have been super awesome to work with. I will never forget attending CHA a ways back and Beth Williams said hi to me, and acknowledged me by name on sight. She and I have certainly emailed back and forth a number of times over the years, and I have been so blessed that she enjoys my projects. It really caught me by surprise that she knew who I was, and can only figure she has a rock solid memory from meeting the previous year. I could always count on Memory Makers for picking up a number of pages every year! In fact, the last issue in September/October is going to feature one of my all time favorite Cosmo Cricket layouts called "You Rock", and a second layout that is digital. Hey - to all my friends who keep saying they want me to autograph their magazines with my work (ha ha) - this last issue of MM could be a collector's item - the Idea Gallery is always an awesome issue, and I am proud to say I have had layouts featured in it for four consecutive years.

Ok, I need to break my melancholy mood. Here is a sneek peek of another Girl Friday layout - it is a little weird (thanks to Photoshop), the journaling is not only amusing and truthful, but those who have seen it so far said they can so relate, and are going to scraplift it. Large, multi-shots coming to this blog soon!

Thanks for stopping in! Keep on creating, caring, loving and sharing in the journey!

No comments: