Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!



Happy Earth Day!! Rain was in the forecast, so we had our nature hike last night. It was gorgeous, and a bit chilly as a cool front with gray clouds began to move in. I know that many of you in warmer clients have already planted gardens - I eyed the grasses in ours this morning... I need to get digging and plant some seeds!

In honor of Earth Day I want to share a layout that is not new, but a favorite, and I think appropriate for Earth Day. The layout uses Magistical Memories chipboard, who recently became even more earth friendly by changing their business over to "made to order". Instead of stocking up on every chipboard shape available, and thus perhaps adding to the cutting down of trees unnecessarily, Crystle and Michael are not cutting out the chipboard shapes as the orders come in. Product will still be delivered in a timely fashion - and the concept is a win win situation for all - including the trees!! Be sure to give your support, and do let Crystle know if you need your order sooner than 7-10 days.

Today's layout, "Tree Climber", not only boasts an earth friendly theme, but recycles the paper cup insulators/cozees from my favorite local coffee shop. The dimpled kraft colored material looks as though it has been embossed, and with a bit of chalk ink added - makes for great, free-hand cut tree branches. I have found it to be a wonderful material to use on masculine and nature themed projects. Another embellishment in this layout that is earth-friendly, is the use of skinny scraps of cardstock used to make a great bird's nest.

Have you discovered a great material to recycle and use on your own papercrafting layouts? I would love to hear your ideas. I found a quote befitting for today by Charles Lindbergh..."Man must feel the earth to know himself and recognize his values...God made life simple. It is man who complicates it."

I also love this motto from a caving society in Baltimore, "Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time." Now this one I can relate to as I envision myself constantly taking pictures as I trod down a nature trail. Be careful, however, as signs warn of not leaving the path as one might otherwise trample young native plants...in other words...leave your footprints on the trail, stay on the trail.(LOL) I can think of no better way to kill time than being out in nature, and capturing its beauty with my camera. This phrase has really inspired me to create a layout about my love for nature photography... I can already see it! I hope I find some time to create as night falls upon earth day.

Before I leave...one image from our nature hike in celebration of earth day.


Happy Creating!

Rita S.

No comments: