Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Stocking Gift Card Holder
Make a special stocking shaped envelope and hang it right on your Christmas tree for the gift card recipients on your list! Originally inspired by the fun "Where's the Party?" cardstock sticker in BoBunny's Tis the Season collection. I had so much fun making the Kitchen Spice oven mitt envelope earlier this fall, that I wanted to do something similar with a stocking shape.
BoBunny Supplies Used:
Tis the Season papers – Carol, Treasure, Tis the Season, Cut Outs, Buttons and Bling
Ribbon –Clover Double Dot
Tool – BoBunny flex ruler
Bell – Darice
Snowflake Stamps: Inkadinkadoo
Ink: Staz-On by Tsukineko in Teal and Cactus Green, Colorbox Chalk Ink (distressing in brown)
Floss – DMC
Thread: Coats and Clark
Rivet: Making Memories
Tools: Jumbo and Large Snowflake Punches, 2” Circle Punch
Misc: Green Craft Felt
1. Use flex ruler to create desired stocking shape, trace onto patterned paper and cut out. Use hole punch to place hole in toe tip of stocking for a small rivet to be added later.
I used this design in a JoAnn Fabrics flyer as my visual inspiration to create the shape...
...bending my ruler here and there to simulate the design.
2. Use paper shape as pattern to cut out same shape in coordinating felt. If you do not wish to sew project, cut coordinating shape from paper and use glue to adhere front to back. Felt will, however, allow for more give for hands to reach inside.
3. Cut out stocking cuff – note: fold piece of paper in half to obtain symmetrical points in your design.
4. If desired, cut out “reinforced heel” – it simply adds color to the stocking design. Note: A very small piece of scrap paper was used, stamped with additional snowflake images to balance the design.
5. Punch circle – distress edge.
6. At this point utlize your sewing machine to:
a. Stitch circle onto front of stocking (if unsure about sewing skills stitch circle on its own and adhere with glue)
b. Stitch heel design to front of stocking
c. Stitch along top edge of cuff, and set aside
d. Stitch front to felt backing – note: start at toe – backstitching before rivet hole and finish on other side of rivet hole, backstitching to hold. Catch small ribbon loop into top corner for hanging. Also stitch to hold small ribbon strip in place in the general area of an “ankle bracelet”.
7. Insert rivet into toe hole and secure. This provides strength to the hole to allow 3/8” ribbon to be fed through. Once ribbon is threaded, tie into a knot. (Option: use floss to tie on a bell instead)
8. Adhere cuff to stocking. Add buttons, or other embellishments, to cuff as shown.
9. Punch snowflakes, cover with sparkle mod podge, bending tips upward. Allow to dry and stack in center of circle with dimensional adhesive. Place gem in center.
10. Thread bell with red floss, feed under ankle ribbon and tie in place.
11. Do the same for “To and From” tag.
12. Tie a bow from Clover Dot ribbon and adhere with glue dot, covering floss knots if desired.
Slip a gift card inside. Mount onto BoBunny cardstock with a note if desired. Staple piece of ribbon to the top to make card easy to pull out of stocking. Happy holidays, and happy creating!