Monday, May 10, 2010

Stitching Makes Layered Card Special

If you having a sewing machine you can probably sew a straight line, or pretty close to it. I needed a card very fast, and although I whipped this card out, the stitching makes it look as though I spent hours. My sewing machine is set up right next to my scrapping table, and always has either brown or black thread in it.
I used papers from BoBunny's Jazmyne line  - my friend happens to LOVE purple. With all the glitter in this line anything you create, no matter how simple - is gorgeous! As you can see, my stitching is not perfect straight...but it doesn't need to be. My theory is that imperfections add to homemade charm. (LOL)
I wanted to add small butterflies, and found an American Girl by EK Success butterfly border punch provided me the small size I needed. Using little scraps of Jazmyne glittered paper - the butterflies needed no additional embellishment. Threading a button with ribbon is always a challenge - I find my stylus is an absolute Godsend for such a task. The first always seems to go through easier than the second...I wonder if I will ever know why....
I would love to tell you how I completed that verse inside, but as I mentioned, I put this card together fast. I cannot find a saved file to refresh my memory...but I am sure it was good. (LOL)
Next time you need a card quickly, don't be afraid to layer squares or rectangles. If you don'd have a sewing machine take a craft knife and roughen the edges of the paper, and then distress with chalk ink. It will look equally wonderful and textured. No matter how simple your handmade card, I can assure you the recipient will love the card for the part of you it gives to them.

Happy creating,
Rita S.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow, this card is just beautiful. The colors are really great.
I guess I have to get my sewing machine from my parents house...

Claudia said...

It's the "simplicity" of your card that makes it so very special. I really love it! And the colours are great, like Diana said in her comment.
Love your work....