Saturday, March 24, 2007

Eve of Gotcha Day

I realize that tomorrow is March 25 - which means that 4 years ago this night I could barely sleep. We had gotten the call around 10 am that day with news that our daughter from Korea would be arriving at O'Hare International the next day.

At this time 4 yrs ago I probably had the bags packed, sent out the good news via email, and was making details with family and friends who were going as part of the welcome home entourage. Where does the time go?

Because Jesse and I have an event to go to tomorrow night we have no big plans to celebrate Gotcha Day. However, I did make a little lifebook for Abby with her story, and it rests in a matching box that contains the outfits that she arrived in along with a few items from Korea. In her closet is an American flag mylar balloon that has never lost its air. It is not tight any longer, but every year I have pulled it out of the closet for Gotcha Day to take a picture of her with it. Somehow I don't think she will cooperate this year - but no matter - I will take another photo. Jesse and I are interested to see how many years this balloon will last. I suspect tomorrow will be an emotional day as we remember and relive the moments when we held our daughter for the first time.

No comments: