Friday, July 31, 2009

BoBunny Orange Challenge


It's the last day of July - the countdown to summer's end offically begins tomorrow. Wow - the summer has flown by! We've hardly done anything cool with the kids yet - in large part to my having a new job. Today is a gorgeous day, and my boss actually told me to wrap it up and "get out of here". He didn't need to tell me twice!

I created today's layout for BoBunny's orange challenge. Although the bright green in Luau stands out, the orange accents is what really makes this layout pop. I am also working off a recipe challenge at A Cherry On Top. I had to use cardstock (not black, white, or kraft) - now that is not a challenge as brown cardstock has to be my very favorite to build a layout on! I also had to use the word "love" visibly in the journaling or title, lowercase letters, and stars. Once I started poking through my BoBunny stash I found all the ingredients quite readily!

The photo in this layout is from the 5th grade graduation party in June. Kyle and his best bud, along with the entire class, had a day of water gun fights, volleyball, and other games. Can you see how tough Kyle is trying to look? It makes me smile - yes, he is growing up, and is looking the part of an almost teen. (LOL) The photo had the right colors for the Luau papers - which came first, the paper or the super soaker? However, there was a big flaw in the photo ... at the upper left corner there was a huge sunspot, but a BoBunny SUN sticker came to the rescue! I covered the sunspot with a sun - I love that bit of irony, that only I would know if I didn't tell the world here. (LOL)


I found the BoBunny bling stars in green (Kyle's favorite color - how perfect!), and also snagged some Magistical Memories shapes - a gear, layered with a star shape on top.


I knew I wanted something to put my stars on - but am running low on the Luau paper. Stores are closed at my scrapping hour. I scouted around and my eyes landed on a box that could be torn - perfect! I gruned up the tore cardboard with some orange and green paint, a little brown ink - just what these tough guys needed!

For the recipe challenge I worked the word love into my journaling - twice! That's covered.


How many times do you buy a set of alphabets with numbers, use the letters, but the numbers go untouched? That happens to me often - but not this time around! I used up ALL the numbers and created a countdown with BoBunny stickers from the Grease Monkey line. I actually love that line so much I bought two sets, so I happened to have two number 1s - you'd think I had planned ahead at the store, but this layout was a late night surging of mojo.

I played around with a office tag to create a base for the number three. This chipboard number is actually an ancient from Chatterbox. I dry-brushed orange paint in a deeper color than the original which grunges it up a bit.

I want to share a tip for my title work... Ever have a vision but not the supplies on hand to pull it off? I had to use lowercase letters - but the only smaller letters I had were all caps. What to do? The only thing I could think of was use the computer as an assistant. I typed the title in CK Cursive, printed it out, cut it out, and held it in place on my layout. Now, I wanted it white...to achieve that I used a fine tip stylus and traced over my printed word with a good measure of elbow grease. This made an impression in the brown cardstock. I traced over with a white pencil (so I could erase any mistakes easily enough), and then went over that with a white pen. I think it turned out great - and I seriously have to use that technique again! I love the crisp white title on the dark brown cardstock.

I have another orange layout to share with details - but that will be later on. Right now I am working on getting a large group together for a round of miniature golf with larger than real life jungle animals. No, I am taking the kids and meeting friends, we actually hit the balls through the hippo's mouth and between the legs of the giraffe. Should be a great photo opp!

Tomorrow, if the rain holds off we are heading to Boscobel, Wi for Muskets and Memories - it's supposed to be an awesome Civil War reenactment.
Enjoy your last day of July!

No comments: