Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dream Street Heartsong - Perfect for Teacher Cards

Inspired by this.

In April we visited a greenhouse on campus that had an exotic butterfly exhibit. I took my new Nikon, and I gave Kyle my "old" Olympus. Good thing...I was still learning my new camera and didn't get that many great photos, but Kyle took the photo above! Pretty good for an 11 yr old, don't ya think?

The photo reminded me of a quote I used on a teacher's card a few years ago, "Encourage a child in all they do, and give them wings to fly!" I framed a 5x7 print of the above photo for Kyle's teacher, and had him sign the photo mat. I wanted to make a butterfly-themed card, and it just so happens that I had a new, never used Quickutz double butterfly die. Last night Abby and I were churning the butterflies out of the Cuttlebug (to use QK dies, use the C plate on the bottom instead of a B plate). Punching out all the holes in the black cardstock took a bit of effort, as quite a few required extra help from a craft knife. I then found putting the black outline on the orange base shape was an adhesive challenge. After doing it once, I decided the easiest thing to do would be to cover the orange shape with mod podge, and position the black on top. Because I used sparkle mod podge, it did not matter if my adhesive showed through to the top. In fact, I decided to put a 2nd coat on most of the butterflies so that the entire embellishment sparkles.

Dream Street's Heartsong happened to be sitting on my craft table (I have had this for a while, but never put it away - yikes!). The line, I realized, is perfect for the sentiment on the card, not to mention perfect colors.

In this post I would like to show you three different cards using the same idea, paper line, and embellishment. Seriously, if you are hand-making an embellishment and all the supplies are out, you may as well make a number of them. I ended up with 5 butterflies total, and have some other projects in mind. I printed the same sentiment out 3 times on cardstock from a photo mat pack, and I was set to create!



The first card is simple in design - and once the butterfly is made, about as quick to make as can be. Fiskars border punches are my replacement to ribbon on cards. I love the designs, and paper is so much easier to adhere (not to mention less bulk if it is to be mailed). Apron Lace is used for these cards.



The second card steps up in size to a 5.5x5.5 square. I found some Bazzill card packs in my stash, and I could not resist an orange, square envelope. I used patterned paper throughout, and tore the edges around the quote for additional interest.



The third card really takes it up a notch - inspired by scraps remaining from the first two cards. This card fits in a standard #10 envelope. If your child writes their teacher a thank you letter, this size is perfect to fold up the letter and include it with the card. I punched the sentiment with a Fiskars circle squeeze punch, and matted it with orange cardstock - using my craft knife to distress the edges. I then cut about 3/8" off the bottom edge of the card front, and secured a border punch shape using BoBunny's dotted cardstock, which I especially love for this purpose. I went light on the adhesive, and doubly secured the border by sewing around the edges, taking in the border strip from underneath. A tip for finishing off your stitches - I started the outer border at the seam line of the two patterned papers on the bottom. Sewing all around, once I returned to my starting point, I pivoted the card front and zig zag stitched up the seam edge - eliminating any obvious back stitches.



This butterfly encompasses a bit involvement. I decided to use a Sakura black glaze pen on the Quickutz black outline shape. It took a bit of work, and certainly depleted the ink supply in the barrel - but it was worth it! I love the look! I finished it off by adding Prima flourishes (recently arrived from ACOT!), using a portion of the flourishes on the butterfly's body.

It's getting late. The teacher cards are set to go, with gift cards inside. I had to whip up a birthday card for a party Kyle is going to tomorrow evening, and I managed to write something in a few of the graduation cards I had made this past weekend. I also finished the cards for our own children, letting them know how proud we are of them. It's especially a major milestone for Kyle - hard to believe our not so little boy is going into middle school. He has become quite a wonderful young man. I held back the tears as I wrote him a message. There is so much I wanted to say, but space was limited. I assured him it was fodder for a new layout. (LOL)

I hope seeing the same product used to make a simple, moderate and more advanced card will inspire you to make multiples next time you have card making supplies out. It's a great way to get ahead in the card making process. Enjoy the journey, and the milestones in your lives.

No comments: